We’re officially in “summer hibernation mode” and hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather. A few updates re: summer events, and calls out for volunteer support for next season:
Come Paddle With Us!
Join Trakkers for an evening paddle with Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre on Friday, June 24th at 6:00 p.m. Easily accessible by public transit at Queens Quay and Reese Street, with a number of paid parking lots nearby.
Costs: Solo Kayak $40; Tandem Kayak $50; or Canoe $30
Simply go to their website paddletoronto.com/socials/ and register for the June 24th Social Paddle at 6:00 p.m. Select your preferred boat and pay your rental fee to Harbourfront. If you have your own boat, you are welcome to join the paddle and launch off their dock.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can let Harbourfront know you are coming.
This event requires some paddling experience. If you are new to paddling and would like to come out, you can partner with an experienced paddler in a tandem boat or explore the variety of courses offered by Harbourfront evenings and weekends. See their website for details paddletoronto.com
We’ll see you at Harbourfront! — and stay tuned for updates re: other summer / fall social events that are in the works!
Like a Good Party? — We Could Use Your Help!
Trakkers is still searching for a volunteer Events Coordinator to help support coordination of the club’s 3 main social events during the ski season (open house in November, wine-and-cheese in January, and year-end dinner in March), as well as a few off-season events (pub night in early fall). Participation is also required at Trakkers’ monthly board meetings (September through April). Average time commitment is approx. 6 hours per month.
Trakkers has a very dedicated crew of volunteers who help out with the actual running of the events, so this is largely an organizational and volunteer coordination role.
If you’re interested in this volunteer position, please contact us at email@example.com.
Social Media Content Coordinator Volunteer Opportunity
Do you enjoy reading skiing, snowshoeing and outdoorsy articles online through Facebook, Twitter and the larger blogosphere? Have any experience with writing articles or social media content? Why not consider volunteering as our Social Media Content Coordinator?
Key duties for this non-executive volunteer position include:
- identifying relevant online content that would be of interest to Trakkers members;
- acting as the club’s “roving reporter” to develop brief original content for the Trakkers blog— this could include anything from writing articles about the club’s social events, developing profiles of Trakkers members, recipe ideas, book reviews — we’re open to ideas and this is a great way to meet other members in the club!; and,
- supporting the club’s Communications Director to cross-promote relevant online content through Trakkers’ social media presence (Facebook, Twitter)
Time commitment is approximately 1-2 hours per week. Optimally we’re looking for someone who is online/social media savvy, and training will be provided on the specific social media tools used by the club (WordPress, Tweetdeck, etc.).
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested or you want to know more.
The club’s AGM and year-end dinner were held on Friday, March 31.
We had a good turnout of old and new members to hear about the club’s activities this past year, to review the club’s financial statement, and to elect the board for the 2016-17 season.
As part of our season wrap-up we were also delighted to present awards to:
- Barb Williams, one of our retiring ski instructors, for her many years of volunteer service with the club as an instructor — thank you, Barb!
- Gina Ang, recipient of the Ski School Award for her enthusiasm and dedication to achievement in taking Trakkers lessons
- Steve Favell, recipient of the Bernie Award for “outstanding contribution” to the club
- Jen Liptrot, recipient of the Broken Ski Award
The club’s annual report and financial statement, as well as draft minutes from the AGM, are now available online in the Club Operations section of the web site. Simply log on to your member account and click on the Club Operations link in the left-hand menu to access.
Trakkers — LOVE Winter!