Niki has been a Trakkers member for a number of years and is a first-time bus captain volunteer!
After years of participating in events and Sunday ski trips, I decided to try my hand at contributing to Trakkers Ski Club through bus captaining duties. The January 6th Sunday ski trip was my first go at the role so I decided to make a post-ski treat for everyone on my bus pre-post-ski-nap. I ended up making a nice healthy no-bake energy ball recipe. I can’t take credit for the recipe though, that entirely goes to Dinner Mom. For all those who asked, here is the recipe below:
Chocolate Date Balls are sweetened with medjool date paste so they’re free from refined sugar. Easy, no-bake, vegan recipe with just 6 ingredients!
Total Time: 15 mins
Servings: 224 balls
- 8 medjool dates pits removed
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond butter or your favorite nut butter
- Fill a glass container with very hot water. (I heat about 2 cups in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.)
- Add dates to water, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 5-10 minutes. This softens the dates and makes them easier to puree. It’s not necessary if the dates are very soft.
- Remove dates from water and place in a small food processor along with 1 Tablespoon of water that the dates soaked in.
- Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add additional water to thin the consistency of the paste, if desired.
- Set date “paste” aside.
- Combine oatmeal, cocoa powder and coconut flakes in a medium sized bowl.
- Add date paste, vanilla extract and almond butter to the dry mixture.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Form dough into Tablespoon-size balls.
- Refrigerate balls in an air tight container.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 0.2% | Calcium: 2.5% | Iron: 2.5%