After much consideration as to what we are able to offer that is safe, comfortable and enjoyable, and based on the responses from the survey we sent out in September, we have decided that we are not able to offer bus trips this season. As a result, we have made the difficult decision to suspend club activities for the 2020-2021 season until further notice.
We have made this decision after carefully considering:
- The safety of our members: Advice surrounding the modes and risk of transmission of COVID-19 in indoor environments for long periods of time, such as on a bus, continues to evolve.
- Comfort of trips: To comply with public health regulations, each ski resort is modifying its operations differently, including limited or no change rooms, limited ski rental capacity, and reducing the number of people inside chalets and the amount of time spent indoors. Arriving in a group means that the bus must be used as a hub, which runs counter to advice given from public health.
- Value to members and financial impact to the club: Reducing the number of passengers on the bus to ensure appropriate social distancing significantly increases the cost of bus fare. We considered subsidizing the cost of buses in order to keep bus fares reasonable, but this is not financially responsible as we would need to significantly increase fees in the future to recuperate the lost revenue.
- Logistics and feasibility: After much discussion of various options, including methods to minimize costs and restructuring, modifying and reducing club activities, we determined that other club offerings such as ski lessons, weekend trips, and social events were not feasible under the current situation.
The Board would rather weather the storm this year so that Trakkers can continue to operate in future years. We thank you for your support and ask for your cooperation and understanding during this time. We will continue to maintain our online presence until we are able to re-open membership next year.
In the meantime, we are developing an approach to foster community and online engagement, so please follow us on:
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/trakkersskiclub
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/trakkersskiclub
- Blog: http://trakkersskiclub.wordpress.com
- Website: http://www.trakkers.ca
Trakkers Board of Directors