You may recall our blog post from last year about virtual loppets, where we featured the Canadian Ski Marathon, the Canadian Birkie and the Gatineau Loppet.
If you are looking for a fun challenge this winter, but aren’t able to travel, the Canadian Ski Marathon and Canadian Birkie are offering virtual events again this year.
Virtual Canadian Ski Marathon
February 5 to March 20, 2022
The Canadian Ski Marathon is Canada’s oldest ski tour. It welcomes all ages and all ski levels.
For this year’s virtual edition, participants are able to ski on any trails, and there are several categories available. Registration fees vary based on category and age of participant.
- Tourer – Ski anywhere from 1 to 10 “sections” of 15km from February 5 to March 20, 2022
- Half-marathon – Ski 45km in a single outing
- Marathon Coureur des Bois
- Bronze – Ski 60km on two consecutive days
- Silver – Ski 60km on two consecutive days while carrying a minimum load of 5kg
- Gold – Ski 60km on two consecutive days while carrying a minimum load of 5kg and sleep outside between the two days
Virtual Canadian Birkie
February 14 to 28, 2022
The Canadian Birkie (Birkebeiner) is one of the three Birkebeiner loppets in the world – the other two being in the United States and Norway.
For this year’s virtual edition, participants are welcome to classic ski, skate ski, snowshoe, skate, skijor, roller-ski, cycle, run, or walk the 2, 4, 8, 13, 31 or 55 kilometres. There are several options available and registration fees range from $15 to $40 per participant.For more information: